Papers of Solon Irving Bailey, 1889-1925, 1931.
- 1889-1925, 1931.
Conditions on Use and Access
0.7 cubic feet (3 boxes)
Bailey was born and raised in New Hampshire. After graduating from Tilton Academy in 1877, where he later served briefly as headmaster, he received a bachelor’s degree (1881) and master’s degree (1884) from Boston University.
Bailey joined the staff of the Harvard College Observatory as a volunteer in 1887. In 1889, HCO Director Edward C. Pickering sent him to South America to find a suitable site for a telescope to extend Harvard’s astronomical observations to the southern hemisphere. Bailey traveled in Peru for two years, selecting Arequipa as the site of the Boyden Station observatory, where he served as director until 1905. He also established a series of meteorological stations, culminating in 1893 with the establishment of a weather station near the peak of El Misti, a volcano overlooking the city of Arequipa.
In 1908, after severe weather rendered observations at Arequipa increasingly difficult, Bailey traveled to South Africa to explore new locations for the Boyden Station. He eventually recommended a site near Bloemfontein, although a lack of funds delayed the move until 1927.
Bailey made his final trip to Peru in 1922, where he received an honorary degree from the University of San Agustin in Arequipa. When he returned to Cambridge, he resumed work on his astronomical research and wrote the History and Work of the Harvard College Observatory 1839-1927, which was published shortly before his death in 1931.
Chronology of Solon Bailey
- 1854 December 9 Solon Irving Bailey is born at Lisbon, New Hampshire.
- 1859 Bailey family moves from Lisbon to Concord, New Hampshire.
- 1877 Bailey graduates from Tilton Academy.
- 1881 Earns A.B. from Boston University.
- 1883 Bailey marries Ruth E. Poulter of Concord, New Hampshire.
- 1884Earns A.M. from Boston University.Bailey is headmaster of Tilton Academy.Bailey's son, Irving Widmer Bailey, is born.
- 1887 Bailey comes to the Harvard College Observatory as a volunteer assistant. University appointments:
- Cannon, Annie J. Solon Irving Bailey, 1854-1931. Biographical Memoirs, Vol. 15. Washington, D.C.: National Academy of Sciences, 1932.
- Chapman, David M.F. "Solon Irving Bailey."The Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada 98, no. 6 (2004) : 229-230.
- King, Edward S. "Solon Irving Bailey (1854-1931)." Popular Astronomy 34, no. 8(October, 1931).
- Peggy Aldrich Kidwell. "Bailey, Solon Irving."; American National Biography Online February 2000.
- Shapley, Harlow. "Professor Solon I. Bailey." Science 74, no. 1906 (July 10, 1931) : 29-30.
- Stearns, Ezra S., ed. Genealogical and Family History of the State of New Hampshire: A Record of the Achievements of Her People in the Making of a Commonwealth and the Founding of a Nation. New York: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1908.
Obsolete Call Numbers
- HUG 1191.8 Bibliography of Solon I. Bailey: moved to Writings by Solon I. Bailey.
- HUG 1191.13 Lectures: moved to Lectures by Solon I. Bailey.
- HUG 1191.15 Journal from Feb. 2 to May 1, 1889 (South American trip): moved to Records relating to expeditions.
- HUG 1191.20 Observations of "seeing" (in South Africa, 1909): moved to Records relating to expeditions.
- HUG 1191.22 Accounts against observatory. South African expeditions, 1908-1909: moved to Records relating to expeditions.
- HUG 1191.25 Scrapbook of clippings regarding observatory in Peru: moved to Records relating to expeditions.
- HUG 1191.45 King, E.S. Solon Irving Bailey (1854-1931). Reprinted from Popular Astronomy, Vol. XXXIX, no. 8, October, 1931: moved to Articles about Solon I. Bailey.
- HUG 1191.50 Reprints: moved to Writings by Solon I. Bailey.
- HUG 1191.81 Shapley, H. Professor Solon I. Bailey. Reprint: Science, July 10, 1931, Vol. 74: moved to Articles about Solon I. Bailey.
Online access to digitized content
- ___Bailey, Solon I. (Solon Irving), 1854-
- ___Harvard College Observatory.
- ___Harvard University -- Astronomy.
- ___Astronomical observatories.
- ___Astronomy -- Research.
- ___Meteorology -- Research.
- ___Boyden Station (Arequipa, Peru)
- ___Boyden Station (Bloemfontein, South Africa)
- ___South Africa -- Description and travel.
- ___South America -- Description and travel.
- ___Arequipa (Peru) -- Description and travel.
- ___Arequipa (Peru) -- Photographs.
- Bailey, Solon I. (Solon Irving), 1854-1931. Papers of Solon Irving Bailey : an inventory
- Harvard University Archives
- EAD ID
Part of the Harvard University Archives Repository
Holding nearly four centuries of materials, the Harvard University Archives is the principal repository for the institutional records of Harvard University and the personal archives of Harvard faculty, as well as collections related to students, alumni, Harvard-affiliates and other associated topics. The collections document the intellectual, cultural, administrative and social life of Harvard and the influence of the University as it emerged across the globe.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA