Specimens of penmanship from writing schools in Boston
Language of Materials
Collection materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
1 linear feet (2 boxes)
Includes specimens from: the South Writing School (50 items numbered SWS 1-50), including signed work of Abiah Holbrook (SWS 1-6, dated 1766-1770); the North Writing School (20 items numbered NWS 1-20); the Writing School in Queen Street (10 items numbered QSWS 1-10); unknown writing schools (109 items, numbered UWS 1-109), including signed work of John Fenno (UWS 33-36, dated 1764-1765); and Miscellaneous engravings including: engraved specimens of writing for copying (4 items, numbered MISC 1-4); sheets with decorative engraved borders (8 items numbered MISC 5-12, 59 x 31 cm or smaller), including borders printed by George Bickham, Henry Overton, and J. Deverson.
Biographical / Historical
- I. South Writing School (SWS)
- ___A. Abiah Holbrook's work
- ___B. Student papers
- II. North Writing School (NWS)
- III. Queen Street Writing School (QSW)
- IV. Unknown writing schools (UWS)
- V. Miscellaneous engravings (MISC)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Specimens of penmanship from writing schools in Boston, 1748-1782: Guide. MS Typ 473.22
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA