Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
A majority of this collection is shelved offsite. Retrieval requires advance notice. Check with Houghton Public Services staff.
Access to items (359) - (387), (780a), (5434), (6889a) and (7392) - (7395) is restricted until 2029 October 1. Consult curatorial staff. No copying including photography of restricted items is allowed.
305 linear feet (382 boxes)
Biographical / Historical
- I. Compositions
- ___A. Early works, 1941-1955
- ______1. Pre-college bound works
- ______2. Early cartoon drawings
- ______3. Early poetry
- ______4. Early prose
- ______5. Early novels
- ______6. Harvard College: Willow [RESTRICTED]
- ______7. Harvard College: student papers
- ______8. Early miscellany and printed material
- ___B. Novels and books
- ___C. Short stories
- ___D. Essays
- ___E. Reviews
- ___F. Poetry
- ___G. Other compositions
- II. Correspondence
- ___A. General correspondence
- ___B. Other correspondence
- ______1. Letters to Plowville and related correspondence
- ______2. Letter files complied by John Updike
- ______3. Fan mail and invitations to speak
- ___C. Family Correspondence
- III. Images of John Updike
- ___A. Childhood images, by title
- ___B. Images, by date
- ___C. Images of John Updike as an adult, by photographer
- ___D. Images of John Updike as an adult, by title
- ___E. Other images
- IV. Other papers
- V. Audiovisual and digital media
- VI. Additions to collection
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Immediate Source of Acquisition
93M-170. Gift of Dr. Warner Berthoff; received 1994 April 13.
2001M-18 (b). Deposit, then gift of Dr. James Plath; received 2001-2002.
2008M-43. Gift of Werner Berthoff, October 2008.
2008M-83. Partial purchase, and partial gift of Allen and Wallace Shawn; received: 2009 March 27.
2009M-28. Purchase from Edward Hoagland; received: 2009 September 18, October 2. 2009M-36. Gift of Glenn Horowitz Bookseller, Inc.; received: 2009 October 8.
2009M-37. Purchased from the John Updike estate, with funds from the Amy Lowell Trust, Charles Warren American History Fund; received: 2009 September 29.
2010M-62. Gift of Alexander J. Jemal; received: 2010 August 30.
2010M-66. Purchase; received 2010 November 22.
2010M-69; 2011M-7. Purchase; received: 2011 March 1 and July 19.
2012M-39. Gift of Martha Updike; received: 2012 September 6.
2012M-83. Gift of Anthony Tuck-Attard; received: 2012 November 14.
2012M-96. Gift of Jeannette Kretzmann; received: 2012 December 7.
2012M-97. Gift of Martha Updike; received: 2012 December 7.
2012M-122. Purchase; received: 2013 February 2.
2013M-17. Partial purchase, partial gift of David F. Shire; received: 2013 July 25.
2013M-89. Purchase; received 2014 February 7. 2014M-140. Gift of Martha Updike; received: 2015 April 30. 2015M-97. Gift of Martha Updike; received: 2015 December 22. 2015M-134. Purchase; received 2016 April 5. 2016M-74. Purchase; received 2017 January 5. 2018MT-088. Purchased from Glenn Horowitz Bookseller in 2018 February.
These acquisitions are noted in the finding aid.
- Updike, John. John Updike papers, 1940-2009 (MS Am 1793): Guide.
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- Description rules
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA