Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
1 collection (22.5 linear feet (70 boxes, 17 volumes, 1 folio volume))
Many of the letters included enclosures, such as letters received by the letter-writer, the correspondence of others, photographs, and clippings. These were kept with the letters in which they were enclosed and described in notes. Even letters to or from family members that have their own correspondence sections in the collection were maintained as enclosures. For a complete sense of the letters included, a name search is suggested. Many of the letters also had the envelopes in which they were sent. Sometimes the dates for letters were taken from the postmark on the letters.
The papers are arranged by recipients of the letters and aligning papers for those recipients. They are listed in a generational hierarchy. The major correspondents have sections of letters written to them and some sections written from them. Letters were first sorted by who they were written to so letters to an individual will appear in their letters to section, even when they are from individual who have correspondence sections.
Biographical / Historical
- I. Edith Kermit Carow Roosevelt series
- ___A. Letters to Edith Kermit Carow Roosevelt
- ___B. Letters from Edith Kermit Carow Roosevelt
- ___C. Diaries of Edith Kermit Carow Roosevelt
- ___D. Other materials of Edith Kermit Carow Roosevelt
- II. Theodore Roosevelt series
- ___A. Letters to Theodore Roosevelt
- ___B. Letters from Theodore Roosevelt
- ___C. Other materials of Theodore Roosevelt
- III. Emily Tyler Carow series
- ___A. Correspondence of Emily Tyler Carow
- ___B. Diaries of Emily Tyler Carow
- IV. Quentin Roosevelt series
- ___A. Correspondence of Quentin Roosevelt
- ___B. Compositions of Quentin Roosevelt
- ___C. Other materials of Quentin Roosevelt
- V. Ethel Roosevelt Derby series
- ___A. Letters to Ethel Roosevelt Derby
- ___B. Letters from Ethel Roosevelt Derby
- ___C. Diaries of Ethel Roosevelt Derby
- ___D. Other materials of Ethel Roosevelt Derby
- VI. Richard Derby series
- ___A. Letters to Richard Derby
- ___B. Letters from Richard Derby
- ___C. Diaries of Richard Derby
- VII. Edith Roosevelt Derby Williams series
- ___A. Letters to Edith Roosevelt Derby Williams
- ___B. Other materials of Edith Roosevelt Derby Williams
- VIII. Correspondence of others
- IX. Photographs
- X. Other material
- ___A. Manuscript and typescript material
- ___B. Printed ephemera
Immediate Source of Acquisition
95M-30 and 95M-32. Gift of Sarah Derby Gannett and Edith Roosevelt Derby Williams; received: 1994.
95M-31. Gift of Theodore Roosevelt Association; received: 1994 April 15.
2004M-103. Gift of Edith Roosevelt Derby Williams;received: 1983 November 1.
2004M-127. Quentin Roosevelt World War One Memorabilia removed from the Theodore Roosevelt Collection subject files.
Unless otherwise noted, the material listed below comes from the 87M-100 accession.
Preliminary work on accession 95M-30 completed by Katherine Mika.
- Roosevelt-Derby-Williams papers, 1863-1977: Guide.
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- Description rules
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA