Rogers Memorial Collection: Rogers Memorial Room records
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
This series is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies and times.
Extent1 linear feet (2 boxes)
Biographical / Historical
Henry Munroe Rogers and Clara Kathleen Rogers amassed a substantial collection of theatrical and military memorabilia over the course of their long lives, mostly as part of their personal papers. In 1930, they donated these papers to Harvard College Library, where they were first arranged by Edward Bass Hall and his mother Lillian Arvilla Hall of the Harvard Theatre Collection. The Rogers Memorial Room on the top floor of Widener Library was set aside to house the collection, and opened in 1935. The Rogers Memorial Room was relocated to the Harvard Theatre Collection's space in Lamont Library in 1949. Building renovations required that the room be vacated in 2006, but the Rogers Memorial Collection is still maintained as a unified whole.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Rogers, Henry Munroe, 1839-1937, collector. Rogers Memorial Collection: Rogers Memorial Room records, 1930-1966: Guide.
- Harvard Theatre Collection, Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA