American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions African missions records
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
For parts of the collection that are on microfilm (for which see below), permission of the curator is required to consult the original documents.
Conditions Governing Use
185 linear feet (80 volumes, 46 cases, 1 box)
This finding aid is a detailed guide to ABC 15, a subset of the main Archives of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions (ABC 1-91); it was partially derived from an ABCFM created table of contents maintained in the main collection as ABC 90.1 (v.4).
Biographical / Historical
Africa came later than other parts of the world into the work of the ABCFM, the Zulu Mission in South Africa being the first to be established, in 1834. A mission in Gabon in west Africa was added in 1843, but was transferred to the Presbyterian Church in 1870. The
West Central Africa missionin Angola and the East Africa mission (originally the
East Central Africa mission, a branch of the Zulu mission) in Rhodesia were organized in 1880.
- ABC 15.1 Western Africa, 1838-1960.
- ABC 15.2 Western Africa. Woman's Board, 1897-1920.
- ABC 15.3 (Number not used)
- ABC 15.4 Southern Africa, 1834-1960.
- ABC 15.5 Southern Africa. Woman's Board, 1903-1927.
- ABC 15.6 East Africa, 1930-1960.
- ABC 15.6.01 Rhodesia. Supplementary, 1886-1955.
- ABC 15.6.1 East Central Africa, 1890-1906.
- ABC 15.6.2 Zulu East Africa, 1891-1905.
- ABC 15.7, 8 (Numbers not used)
- ABC 15.9 Africa. Miscellaneous documents, 1834-1873.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Wider Church Ministries is a ministry of the United Church of Christ and successor of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions (ABCFM).
This series is part of the ABCFM collection received on deposit from the ABCFM in 1944.
Existence and Location of Copies
- American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions African missions records, 1843-1960: Guide.
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA