Philip Metcalfe papers concerning the Sir Joshua Reynolds estate
- Majority of material found within 1791-1799
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
.5 linear feet (1 box and 1 volume)
Series II, the estate accounts, include detailed notes by Metcalfe on the arrangements for Reynolds's funeral, as well as financial accounts with several estate creditors and beneficiaries. A list of Reynolds paintings sold at auction is of particular interest. One of the estate account books includes a subscription list, probably begun by Reynolds in 1785, to raise a monument to Samuel Johnson.
Series III, the Metcalfe family papers, are of primarily genealogical interest. These papers have no direct connection to the Sir Joshua Reynolds estate, but help establish the collection's provenance.
Biographical / Historical
- I. Reynolds estate correspondence
- II. Reynolds estate accounts
- III. Metcalfe family papers
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Metcalfe, Philip, 1735-1818. Philip Metcalfe papers concerning the Sir Joshua Reynolds estate, 1791-1906: Guide.
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA