Bunce family and Nugent family papers
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Extent6 linear feet (14 boxes)
Biographical / Historical
- Alan Coe Bunce (1900 or 1903-1965) was born in New Jersey, graduated from high school (ca. 1918) in Melrose, Massachusetts and died in New York in 1965. He was the son of Theodore Dwight Bunce (the inventor of the "Bunceometer") and Alice Edwards Bunce who died while Alan was still a child. He worked as an actor on stage, radio, television, and film. Some of his credits include: Ethel and Albert (radio/tv sitcom); Young Dr. Malone (radio soap opera); Sunrise at Campobello (Broadway play and film); Homicidal (horror film); The last mile (film); and many others. The family of Alan Coe Bunce, (reported by his grandson Andrew Bunce, in August 2008), believes Alan Bunce's true birth date to be 1900.
- Alan Nugent Bunce (1933-2008) was the son of Alan Coe Bunce and Ruth Elizabeth Nugent Bunce and was born in New York and died in Massachusetts. He was a writer and editor for the Christian Science Monitor. His wife was Joyce Elaine Trautwig Bunce. Their son is Andrew Bunce, who submitted much of the family history in August of 2008.
- Ruth Elizabeth Nugent Bunce (ca. 1902-ca. 1978) was an actress who was born in Ohio and was the daughter of J.C. (John Charles) Nugent and Grace Mary Fertig Nugent. She was the sister of Elliott Nugent and the wife of actor Alan Coe Bunce. She was in the original cast of Kempy, a play written and directed (and acted in as well) by her brother and father.
- Elliott Nugent (1899-1980) was an actor, playwright, producer and stage performer who entered film with the coming of sound and became a director in 1932. He was born in Dover, Ohio in 1899, attended Ohio State University and died in New York City in 1980. He was the son of J.C. (John Charles) Nugent and Grace Mary Fertig Nugent, and the brother of Ruth Elizabeth Nugent Bunce. He was a close friend of James Thurber and wrote a play with him titled, The male animal. He was married to Norma Lee (d. 1980) and had a daughter Barbara Nugent (d. 1974).
- J.C. (John Charles) Nugent (1878-1947) was an stage and film actor, and a playwright and theater commentator for Variety. He was born in Niles, Ohio married to actress Grace Mary Fertig Nugent (d.1930). Some sources state he was born in 1868. Their children were Elliott Nugent and Ruth Elizabeth Nugent Bunce.
- Peg Lynch (b.1917-) was a writer and radio actress). She was the creator, writer, and star of the television show, Ethel and Albert.
- I. Family records
- ___A. Correspondence
- ___B. Documents
- II. Scripts and other compositions
- III. Theatrical records
- Bunce family and Nugent family papers, 1891-1978: Guide.
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA