Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
1 collection (5.5 linear feet (16 boxes))
Family papers include: autograph manuscript sermons by his step-grandfather James Freeman; diaries of his daughter Lillian Freeman Clarke; a scrapbook of photographs of his daughter Cora Huidekoper Clarke; various family letters mounted in a scrapbook regarding family news and financial matters; a Timothy Fuller letter book; and other items.
Biographical / Historical
- I. Sermons of James Freeman Clarke
- II. Sermons of James Freeman
- III. Compositions and other papers of James Freeman Clarke
- IV. Scrapbooks, journals, sketchbooks, financial records and other papers of James Freeman Clarke
- V. Family papers
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was formerly split into 3 call-numbers (MS Am 1569.1; MS Am 1569.2; and MS Am 1569.3). These numbers were combined in 2015 into MS Am 1569.1.
- Clarke, James Freeman, 1810-1888. James Freeman Clarke additional papers, 1717-1889: Guide.
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA