Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
1 collection (20 linear feet (16 boxes))
Biographical / Historical
Brentano was influential in the development of Gestalt and existential psychology. Other major works were: Untersuchungen zur Sinnespsychologie (1907; Inquiry into sense psychology ) and Von der Klassifikation der psychischen Phänomene (1911; On the classification of psychological phenomena ).
- Aesth: Aesthetik (Esthetics)
- A: Aristoteles (Aristotle)
- EL: Erkenntnistheorie und Logik (Epistemology and Logic)
- Eth: Ethik (Ethics)
- H: Geschichte der Philosophie (History of Philosophy)
- L S: Leib und Seele
- M: Metaphysik (Metaphysics)
- Meg: Megethologie (Megethology)
- N: Naturwissenschaften (Natural Sciences)
- Ps: Psychologie (Psychology)
- R: Religionsphilosophie (Philosopy of Religion)
- S Ps: Sinnespsychologie (Psychology of Senses)
- Sp: Sprachphilosophie (Philosophy of Language)
- T: Zeit (Time)
- Th: Theologie (Theology)
- T S: Zeit und Raum (Time and Space)
- V: Varia
- Fr Schr: Frühen Schriften (Early Writings)
- Old folders
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The manuscripts were formerly owned by John C.M. Brentano (son of Franz Brentano), 29 Lakeview Terrace, Highland Park, Illinois.
These papers were originally deposited with the Brentano Archive, Prague, Czechoslovakia, from where, in 1938, they were transferred to Manchester, England. Subsequently they were deposited in the Bodleian Library, Oxford University. In spring of 1951, they were sent to Highland Park, Ill. U.S.A., where J.C.M. Brentano lived. J.C.M. Brentano (d.1969) transferred the papers to the Franz Brentano Foundation in 1966. The papers were then deposited in the Houghton Library.
There is a detailed account of the history of the papers in: Brentano, J.C.M. "The manuscripts of Franz Brentano," in Revue Internationale de Philosophie, 1966, Fascicule 4, Nr. 78. " [copy in Manuscript Department curatorial file.]
Existence and Location of Copies
This list includes the following markings:
- * = Handschrift Brentanos (in hand of Brentano)
- b = Bogen (folder)
- b1 = Blatt (leaf)
- s = Seite (page)
- str = Streifen (columns or margin border)
- X= Manuscript with a copy of it elsewhere
Users of this finding aid should be aware that it is not accurate in every detail, and should be used only for general guidance. A new version of this finding aid is in preparation under the auspices of the Brentano Foundation.
An introduction (written in German by Mayer-Hillebrand) to the processing of the papers can be found in the internal file.
- Brentano, Franz Clemens, 1838-1917. Franz Clemens Brentano compositions, 1870-1917: Guide.
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA