- Majority of material found within 1760-1864
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
7 linear feet (23 volumes, 14 boxes)
Timothy Fuller's papers, found primarily in series I, include diaries, journals, orations, college themes, an expense book he kept while a student at Harvard, 1797-1801, and his correspondence with family, friends, and associates. Arthur Fuller's papers consist mainly of letters written to his wife and brothers when he was an army chaplain during the Civil War.
Collection also contains poems and notebooks of Richard Fuller, a younger brother; a few portraits of Margaret Fuller and biographical essays about her; clippings on the shipwreck in which she, her husband, and son died; correspondence and printed material concerning memorials to Margaret Fuller; and early family correspondence and documents.
Bound volumes include items (1)-(22). Boxed materials include items (23)-(138).
Biographical / Historical
Some pertinent Fuller family names are:
- Timothy Fuller, Jr. (1778-1835), Harvard Colllege AB 1801; Margaret Fuller's father.
- Margaret Crane Fuller (1789-1859); Margaret Fuller's mother.
- Ellen Kilshaw Fuller Channing (1820-1856); Margaret Fuller's sister. She was married to William Ellery Channing (1818-1901).
- Arthur Buckminster Fuller (1822-1862), Harvard College AB 1843; Margaret Fuller's brother.
- Richard Frederick Fuller (1824-1869); Margaret Fuller's brother.
- Elizabeth Godfrey Davenport Fuller (1831-1856). First wife of Arthur Buckminster Fuller.
- Edith Davenport Fuller (1854-1926). Daughter of Arthur B. and Elizabeth G. D. Fuller.
- Marchese Giovanni Angelo Ossoli (1821-1850); Margaret Fuller's husband.
- Angelo Eugene Philip Ossoli (1848-1850); Margaret Fuller's son.
- I. General correspondence (volumes 1-11)
- II. Arthur B. Fuller correspondence (volumes 12-13)
- III. Fuller family correspondence (volumes 14-17)
- IV. Works of S. M. F. Ossoli (volumes 18-22) [manuscript transcripts and clippings]
- V. Fuller family papers [boxed]: A. Margaret Fuller additional correspondence
- V. Fuller family papers [boxed]: B. Margaret Fuller additional compositions
- V. Fuller family papers [boxed]: C. Margaret Fuller bound journals
- V. Fuller family papers [boxed]: D. Images of and relating to Margaret Fuller
- V. Fuller family papers [boxed]: E. Printed material
- V. Fuller family papers [boxed]: F. Compositions by others
- V. Fuller family papers [boxed]: G. Fuller family additional papers
Immediate Source of Acquisition
No accession number. Bequest of Miss Edith D. Fuller, Cambridge, Massachusetts; received: 1926 November 8.
The boxed portion of the collection [loose material] was not fully processed until August of 2013. A box list to the former 4 black boxes of these papers was created by a reader. The now annotated box list is available in the curatorial file for this collection. See Public Services staff to retrieve this file.
Bound volumes 1-22 were not fully processed until 2016.
An alphabetic index to each bound volume is found within that volume and also in a compilation for all the volumes (but omitting volumes 3-4) found in the curatorial file.
- Fuller, Margaret, 1810-1850. Margaret Fuller family papers, 1662-1970: Guide and index.
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA