James Edward Whitney collection of playing cards
Conditions Governing Access
16 linear feet (15 boxes)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- CHATTO. Facts andSpeculations on the Origin and History of Playing Cards. By William Andrew Chatto. London: JohnRussell Smith, 1848.
- CULIN. Korean Games, with notes on the corresponding Games of China andJapan. Philadelphia; University of Pennsylvania, 1895. By Stewart Culin. The Gambling Games of theChinese in America. By Stewart Culin. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania, 1891.
- MERLIN. Origine des Cartes a Jouer. Recherches nouvelles sur les naibis,les tarots, at sur les autres especes de cartes. Par R. Merlin. Paris, 1869.
- O'DONOGHUE. Catalogue of the Collection of Playing Cards bequeathed tothe Trustees of the British Museum by Lady Charlotte Schreiber. By Freeman Marius O'Donoghue.London: Published by order of the Trustees of the British Museum, 1901.
- SINGER. Researches into the History of Playing Cards, etc. By SamuelWeller Singer. London: R. Triphook, 1816.
- TAYLOR. The History of Playing Cards, etc. By Rev. Edward S. Taylor.London: J. C. Hotten, 1865.
- WILKINSON. The Chinese Origin of Playing Cards. By William HenryWilkinson. In The American Anthropologist for January, 1895.
- WILLSHIRE. A Descriptive Catalogue of Playing and other Cards in theBritish Museum etc. By W. Hughes Willshire, M. D. London, Published by order of the Trustees of theMuseum, 1876-1877.
- American: Nos. 1-2-5-12-17-18-24-29-35-36-37-38-39-40-56-65-73-80-
- Fanciful: Nos. 46-61-68-80-
- Chinese: Nos. 26-27-28-67-
- English: Nos. 3-8-9-25-66-82-83-84-92-
- Flemish: Nos. 88-
- French: Nos. 4-15-31-33-97
- Tarots: Nos. 52-
- Fanciful: Nos. 41-72-
- German & Austrian: Nos. 10-11-13-14-19-69-76-85-94-95-96-98-99-
- Tarots: Nos. 54-55-70-89-90-91-
- Fanciful: Nos. 30-75-86-
- Hindustani: Nos. 42-43-79-
- Italian: Nos. 7-47-48-63-74-
- Tarots: Nos. 23-71-77-78-
- Minchiate: Nos. 49-50-51-
- Cucco: Nos. 21-
- Japanese: Nos. 32-44-45-58-59-60-
- "Khanhoo Cards: No. 62
- Korean: No. 81-
- Spanish: Nos. 6-16-53-57-64-
- Swiss: Nos. 87-93-
- Swedish: No. 20
- Cambio No. 22
- Whitney, James Edward, collector. James Edward Whitney collection of playing cards, ca. 1500-1920: Guide.
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA