- Majority of material found in 1935-1970
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted: fragile; consult curatorial staff, items: 2202-2204, 2267, 2293
Letters soley by or to Elizabeth Hardwick were available for research only with her permission during her lifetime; this restricted ended in December 2007.
Conditions Governing Use
8.5 linear feet (33 boxes)
Biographical / Historical
- I. Letters to Robert Lowell
- II. Letters from Robert Lowell
- III. Letters to Elizabeth Hardwick
- IV. Other letters
- V. Compositions by Robert Lowell
- A. Early poems: 1935-1938
- B. Land of unlikeness
- C. Lord Weary's castle
- D. Uncollected poems: 1938-1946
- E. The mills of the Kavanaughs
- F. Uncollected poems: 1946-1951
- G. Life studies
- H. Autobiographical prose
- I. Uncollected poems: 1951-1959
- J. Imitations
- K. For the union dead
- L. The Old Glory
- M. Prometheus bound
- N. The Agamemnon, Orestes and Phaedra
- O. Near the ocean
- P. Notebook: worksheets
- Q. Notebook: lists of revisions
- R. Notebook: photocopies and galley proofs
- S. Notebook: unpublished drafts
- T. Uncollected poems: 1959-1970
- U. Uncollected translations
- V. Miscellaneous prose
- VI. Documents, legal papers, photographs, etc.
- VII. Other papers
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Letters to Frank Bidart were purchased from Bidart, 1977.
Evaluations of student compositions were a gift of William Alfred, 1978.
- Lowell, Robert, 1917-1977. Robert Lowell papers: Guide.
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA