- Majority of material found within 1833-1881
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
17.3 linear feet (52 boxes and 1 portfolio box)
Biographical / Historical
- I. Early papers: A. Correspondence of John Phillips and other early correspondence
- I. Early papers: B. Compositions
- I. Early papers: C. Legal and business papers of John Phillips
- I. Early papers: D. Genealogical material
- II. Letters to Wendell Phillips
- III. Letters by Wendell Phillips
- IV. Letters to Ann Terry (Greene) Phillips
- V. Other letters
- VI. Compositions
- VII. Miscellaneous: A. Accounts and other business papers
- VII. Miscellaneous: B. Printed matter and ephemera
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Crawford Blagden Collection of the Papers of Wendell Phillips was presented to this Library in October 1977. Early that year Mr. Blagden, a descendant of the abolitionist, discovered the papers in the basement of his house and contacted Irving Bartlett, Phillips's biographer, who then brought the papers to Harvard where he was to do research on them.
- Phillips, Wendell, 1811-1884. Wendell Phillips papers, 1555-1882: Guide.
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA