- Majority of material found within 1937-1969.
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
1 collection (15 linear feet (40 boxes))
Biographical / Historical
- I. Compositions by Walter Gropius
- II. Compositions by others
- III. Letters to and from Walter Gropius
- IV. Letters of condolence, 1969
- V. Other letters
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection of Gropius materials represents only a part of the personal archive of Walter Gropius. Upon his death his widow, Ise Gropius, arranged to have the collection divided into early and late papers. Both parts were photographed with funds provided by the Thyssen Foundation. The late papers, relating to Gropius' career after 1937, and the photos of the early ones, then came to the Houghton Library; the early papers and photos of the late ones went to the Bauhaus Archiv, then in Darmstadt, since reestablished in Berlin.
- Gropius, Walter, 1883-1969. Walter Gropius papers, 1925-1969: Guide.
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA