Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
3 linear feet (7 boxes)
The following table of contents lists titles of poems and ballads, identification of the hand where possible in parenthesis, and a brief collational statement. Unidentified copyists and correspondents are listed together as "unknown?" The appended index of correspondents and identifiable hands includes only those authors whose works are present in autograph; Percy, Child, and Kittredge are not included in the index.
Biographical / Historical
- I. bMS Eng 891: Correspondence concerning the Percy ballads
- II. bMS Eng 893: Ballads and related papers
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Harvard College Library purchased this collection at the Percy sale, Sotheby's, 29 April 1884 (The one exception is folder 259, added subsequently from other sources). Two marked copies of the sale catalogue may be consulted: 25247.20* annotated by the librarian Justin Winsor; and 25247.20.5* annotated by Francis James Child.
The manuscripts contained in this index were formerly shelved as 25247.20.5* and 25241.33*.
Index of correspondents and identifiable transcribers
- Barnard, Thomas (1728-1806) 126A-C.
- Bulman, J., 24 C, 24 E.
- Collier, John Payne (1789-1883) 259 A-B.
- Cowen, Henry, 22 G
- Dodsley, Robert (1703-1764) 251.
- Farmer, Richard (1735-1797) 149.
- Garrick, David (1717-1779) 248D.
- Greene, Richard (1716-1793) 132.
- Grow, E., 24 E.
- Hailes, Sir David Dalrymple, lord (1726-1792) 9F.
- Halt, Roger, 127 A.
- Hest, T., 279 B.
- Jackson ['the bookseller'] 138F.
- Lambe, Robert (1712-1795) 24 A, 24 G, 128 A-F, 129 E
- Lingen, [ ] 261
- Lye, Edward (1694-1767) 138 C-D.
- Mathias, Thomas James (1754?-1835) 271.
- Parsons, Philip (1729-1812) 129 A-C, 129 F-J.
- Paton, George (1721-1807) 9 E, 124 A, 124 B, 124 C, 124 D, 124 F, 124 G
- Pegge, Samuel (1704-1796) 7
- Percy, Arthur [T.P.'s brother] 145.
- Pinkerton, John (1758-1826) 9 H.
- Portland, Margaret Cavendish (Harlesy) Bentinck, duchess of (1715-1785) 131.
- Procter, William, 138 C.
- Shenstone, William (1714-1763) 14, 153, 157, 165, 273.
- Steevens, George (1736-1800) 263.
- Wale, Samuel (d. 1786) 138 A.
- Warren, Edmund, 133.
- Warton, Thomas (1728-1790) 12 A, 20 B, 154,
- Watson, John (1725-1783) 130 A-D.
- Percy, Thomas, 1729-1811. Thomas Percy papers, 1759-1785: Guide.
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA