Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
1.6 linear feet (1 box and 9 volumes)
Biographical / Historical
Henry Thrale died in 1781. In 1784, Hester married Gabriele Mario Piozzi (1740-1809), an Italian musician. The marriage was widely viewed as scandalous in London society, and terminated Hester's long friendship with Johnson. The Piozzis embarked on a tour of Europe for two and a half years, leaving her four daughters dispersed in England under the supervision of Henry Thrale's executors.
The Piozzis built a country house at Brynbella in Wales, and settled there as their primary residence from 1794 to 1809. Piozzi's young nephew John Salusbury Piozzi came to live with the Piozzis in 1798. Gabriele Mario Piozzi died in 1809, and shortly afterwards John was formally adopted as Hester's primary heir, assuming the name Sir John Salusbury Piozzi Salusbury (1793-1858). Hester spent most of her final years in Bath, England.
Hester Lynch Piozzi's publications included Anecdotes of the Late Samuel Johnson, LL.D. (1786); Letters to and from the Late Samuel Johnson, LL.D. (1788), and Retrospection, or, a Review of the Most Important and Striking Events, Characters, Situations, and their Consequences, which the Last Eighteen Hundred Years have Presented to the View of Mankind (1801).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Balderston, Katherine C., ed., Thraliana: The Diary of Mrs. Hester Lynch Thrale (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1942)
- Broadley, A.M., Dr. Johnson and Mrs. Thrale (London: John Lane, 1910)
- Clifford, James L., Hester Lynch Piozzi (Mrs. Thrale) (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1941)
- Hayward, A., ed., Autobiography, Letters, and Literary Remains of Mrs. Piozzi (Thrale), 2nd edition (London: Longman et al., 1861)
- Hyde, Mary, The Impossible Friendship: Boswell and Mrs. Thrale (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1972)
- Hyde, Mary, The Thrales of Streatham Park (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1977)
- McCarthy, William, Hester Thrale Piozzi: Portrait of a Literary Woman (Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1985)
- Smith, Margaret M., et al., Index of English Literary Manuscripts, Volume III, Part 4 (London: Mansell Publishing, 1992) IV
- Piozzi, Hester Lynch, 1741-1821. Hester Lynch Piozzi manuscripts: Guide.
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA