Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
3 linear feet (9 boxes)
Collection includes buttons, stickpins, lapel pins, medals, emblems, badges, portrait photographs, tintypes (gem photographs), ribbons, etc. This collection includes all types of political insignia, but the general term "buttons" has often been used in the category titles. At the item level, materials are counted as buttons only when they are round "buttons" with either a pin-back or stud fastener. The rest of the items are counted as "items." The text that appears on all materials is listed within quotation marks.
Biographical / Historical
- I. United States presidential campaign buttons
- II. Other materials
- ___A. By date
- ______1897: Dedication of Grant's Tomb
- ______1897: Election of the Mayor of New York City
- ______ca. 1897: Greater New York area elections
- ______1899: Dewey Celebrations
- ______1902: Visit of Prince Henry of Prussia to the U.S.
- ______1905: New York City mayorial election
- ______1906 and 1908: New York State gubernatorial election
- ______1917-1918: World War I
- ___B. By topic
- ______American flags
- ______Democratic Party
- ______Flags of countries
- ______Liberty heads
- ______Prohibition Party
- ______Republican Party (GOP)
- ______Socialist Labor Party
- ______United States state seals
- ______Unclassified items
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Recataloged from US2185.64*.
- Lieder, Frederick W. C. (Frederick William Charles), 1881-1953, collector. Frederick Lieder political button collection: Guide.
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA