Abbott family Civil War letters
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Extent1 linear feet (2 boxes)
Biographical / Historical
This set of papers comprise letters from three sons of Josiah and Caroline Abbott:
- Edward Gardner Abbott (1840-1862) received an AB from Harvard College in 1860 and was an officer with the 2nd Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry. He was killed at the Battle of Cedar Mountain on Aug 9, 1862.
- Fletcher Morton Abbott (b.1843) was an officer with the 2nd Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry. He was later appointed aide-de-camp to Brig. Gen. William Dwight of the Nineteenth Army Corps., then stationed in New Orleans, Louisiana. He was discharged from duty due to ill health on Dec. 23, 1863.
- Henry Livermore Abbott (1842-1864) received an AB from Harvard College in 1860 and was an officer with the 20th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry (also known as the Harvard Regiment). He was killed in the Battle of the Wilderness on May 6, 1864.
- Caroline Mary Livermore Abbott (b. ca. 1839).
- William Stackpole Abbott (1844-1846).
- Samuel Appleton Browne Abbott (Harvard College AB 1866).
- Sarah Livermore Abbott (b. ca.1850).
- Franklin Pierce Abbott (Harvard Law LLB 1876).
- Arthur St. Loe Abbott (b.1856) (Harvard College AB 1877).
- Grafton St. Loe Abbott (b. ca. 1857).
- Holker Welch Abbott (b. ca. 1858).
- I. Letters from Edward Gardner Abbott to his family
- II. Letters from Fletcher Morton Abbott to his family
- III. Letters from Henry Livermore Abbott to his family
- IV. Miscellaneous papers concerning Edward Gardner Abbott
- V. Miscellaneous papers concerning Henry Livermore Abbott
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Some of these letters are published in: Henry Livermore Abbott. Fallen leaves: the Civil War letters of Major Henry Livermore Abbott, edited by Robert Garth Scott. Kent, Ohio: Kent State University Press, 1991.
- See also: Anthony J. Milano. Copperhead defiance from a Yankee officer: private letters of Major Henry Livermore Abbott, Harvard College, class of 1860, Twentieth Regiment, Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, 1861-1864. Harvard University Thesis (Master of Liberal Arts in Extension Studies), 1987.
- Abbott family. Abbott family Civil War letters: Guide.
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA