Harcourt Amory collection of Lewis Carroll,
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
1 collection (3 linear feet (3 volumes and 6 boxes))
Also includes: Tenniel's studies for his illustrations to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass; drawings by others to illustrate Dodgson's work; portrait photographs of Dodgson and others, some taken by Dodgson; and notes, lists, and correspondence about Dodgson by Harcourt Amory.
Biographical / Historical
Sir John Tenniel was an English illustrator and satirical artist especially known for his work in Punch and his illustrations for the Lewis Carroll Alice books.
Arthur Burdett Frost was an American illustrator famous for his drawings of Uncle Remus, Brer Rabbit and others, as well as his illustrations for Lewis Carroll's Rhyme? and reason? and A tangled tale.
Sidney Lawton Smith was a well-known bookplate designer and engraver based in Boston.
Harry Furniss (1854-1925) was an English illustrator and caricaturist who was a regular contributor to Punch, the Illustrated London News and other magazines. He also illustrated a range of books including those by Lewis Carroll, Charles Dickens, and William Makepeace Thackeray.
- MS Eng 718: Dodgson, The rectory umbrella.
- MS Eng 718.1: Dodgson, Mischmasch.
- bMS Eng 718.2: Dodgson, Hiawatha's photographing.
- bMS Eng 718.3: Dodgson, The only sister who would write to her brother.
- bMS Eng 718.4: Dodgson, Humpty Dumpty and Tweedledum.
- MS Eng 718.5: Dodgson, A series of autograph letters.
- bMS Eng 718.6: Tenniel, Studies for illustrations to Alice's adventures in wonderland.
- bMS Eng 718.7: Tenniel, Studies for illustrations to Through the looking-glass.
- bMS Eng 718.8: Tenniel, Drawings published in Punch.
- bMS Eng 718.9: Frost, Drawings for Rhyme? and reason? and A tangled tale.
- bMS Eng 718.10: Dodgson, Letters from Dodgson.
- bMS Eng 718.11: Dodgson, Compositions.
- bMS Eng 718.12: Dodgson, Letters to Dodgson from others.
- bMS Eng 718.13: Furniss, Illustrations to Sylvie and Bruno.
- bMS Eng 718.14: Photographs.
- bMS Eng 718.15: Amory, Papers concerning his collecting of Lewis Carroll material.
- ___I. Correspondence.
- ___II. Notes and lists by Amory on Lewis Carroll material.
- bMS Eng 718.16: Harcourt Amory bookplate.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
*42M-187. MS Eng 718.1; Gift of Mrs. Harcourt Amory of Boston; received: 1927 Jan. 14.
*42M-1846. bMS Eng 718.10 (21); Bequest of Samuel Henshaw; received: 1943 June.
*46M-10. bMS Eng 718.10 (22); Gift of Mrs. Flora V. Liningston, Widener Library, Harvard University; received: 1946 July 26.
*47M-46. bMS Eng 718.10 (20); Deposited by Edward Hyde Cox, Esq., Crow Island, Manchester, Mass.; received: 1947 Nov. 15.; gift 1948 June.
The Houghton printed book collection also housed some original drawings relating to the Carroll books that are inserted into printed books by Carroll that were collected by Amory and others. See the HOLLIS database for further information.
- Amory, Harcourt, 1855-1925, collector. Harcourt Amory collection of Lewis Carroll: Guide.
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA