Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
12.4 linear feet (24 boxes and 17 volumes)
Some of the people associated with the inner circle of the IRL were: Prescott F. (Prescott Farnsworth) Hall [secretary and founder], Samuel B. (Samuel Billings) Capen, Thornton Cooke, James Robert Dunbar, George Franklin Edmunds, Frank Boyd Gary, Madison Grant, Henry Holt, William Dewitt Hyde, Joseph Lee Franklin MacVeagh, John F. Moors [president], Robert Treat Paine, Henry Parkman, James Horace Patten, James Bronson Reynolds, Robert DeCourcy Ward, Charles Warren [founder and secretary], and Owen Wister. Collection also includes clippings, pamphlets books, and loose printed materials from the collection of Robert DeCourcy Ward, one of the founders of the IRL.
Biographical / Historical
Prescott F. (Farnsworth) Hall, in addition to being a founding member of the League, was elected General Secretary to the Executive Committee of Immigration Restriction Leagues, the overarching board for the national movement, in 1896.
- I. Correspondence to and from the IRL
- ___A. Correspondence.
- ___B. Circular letters
- II. Record books of the IRL
- III. Scrapbook
- IV. Compositions
- ___A. Compositions, 1897-1921
- ___B. Miscellaneous notes and memoranda, 1894-1921
- ___C. Undated compositions
- V. Clippings
- VI. Printed materials relating to immigration
- VII. Printed materials by the IRL
- ___A. IRL administrative materials
- ___B. IRL numbered publications
- ___C. Far Eastern Bureau Reports
Immediate Source of Acquisition
A small amount of printed and bound materials in this collection formed part of the Robert DeCourcy Ward Immigration Collection given through the Social Ethics Library, 1922 Sept. 21; transferred from Widener in 1999 as *99M-48.
- Barbara Miller Solomon. Ancestors and Immigrants: A Changing New England Tradition. (University of Chicago Press : 1956).
Recataloged from the following call numbers:
- XP 9979 (formerly US 1058x.xx) loose pamphlets on immigration.
- US 10583.9.8 IRL. Annual Reports, 1894-1903.
- US 10583.9.25F Record books of the IRL.
- US 10583.9.30F Papers: a special collection of manuscript records, reports, etc.
- US 10583.9.36 List of previous members, 1927.
- XP 9979 (formerly US 10587.20.5, US 10587.20.10) Bound book containing pamphlets on immigration restriction.
- XP 9979 (formerly US 10587.20.15, US 10587.20.20, US 10587.20.25, US 10587.20.30, US 10587.20.35) Bound clippings books on immigration restriction.
- XP 9979 (formerly US 10587.25.3) Miscellaneous documents relating to immigration from the 54th Congress.
- XP 9979 (formerly US 10587.29) Bound clippings books on immigration, 1894-1920.
- US 10587.29.5F Scrapbooks of Prescott Hall.
- XP 9979 (formerly US 10587.29.10) The Far Eastern Bureau Monthly reports, 1915 Jan. - June.
- US 10587.40 Additional manuscript records, reports, etc.
- US 10587.43 Luce's clippings on immigration.
- Immigration Restriction League (U.S.). Immigration Restriction League (U.S.) records, 1893-1921: Guide.
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA