Conditions Governing Access
1.5 linear feet (3 boxes)
Biographical / Historical
Originally it was self-described as "A weekly journal of politics, literature, science and art." Under Godkin, the Nation railed against Reconstruction excesses, abuses of the civil service and corruption in the goverment. It is America's oldest such continuously published periodical still extant.
- I. Letters to Edwin Lawrence Godkin
- II. Letters from Edwin Lawrence Godkin
- III. Letters to James Miller McKim
- IV. Other letters
- V. Nation business papers
- VI. Miscellaneous
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Nation (New York, N.Y. : 1865). Nation papers, 1865-1893: Guide.
- Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
- EAD ID
Part of the Houghton Library Repository
Houghton Library is Harvard College's principal repository for rare books and manuscripts, literary and performing arts archives, and more. The library's holdings of primary source material are managed by an expert staff and shared with scholars, students and the public in the reading room.
Cambridge MA 02138 USA