- 1967-2002 (inclusive).
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Access requires advance notice. Access to Beth Israel Hospital records is restricted for 50 years from the date of creation. These restrictions appear in Series II. Access to personal and patient information is restricted for 80 years from the date of creation. These restrictions appear in Series I and II. Researchers may apply for access to restricted records. Consult Public Services for further information.
The Papers are stored offsite. Researchers are advised to contact
Conditions Governing Use
8 cubic feet ( (8 records center cartons))
The Edward Lowenstein papers consist of two series: I. Correspondence and II. Beth Israel Hospital Records.
Records are entirely in English.
Chronology of Edward Lowenstein
Edward Lowenstein, M.D. (born 1934), is Henry Isaiah Dorr Professor of Anaesthesia and Professor of Medical Ethics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, and Provost, Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts. A chronology is provided below.
- Born in Duisberg, Germany.
- Immigrated to the United States. Raised in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- M.D., University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor.
- Resident and Chief Resident in Anesthesia, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston.
- United States Army, Captain, Anesthetist, U.S. Army Surgical Research Unit, Fort Sam Houston, Texas.
- Cardiac Anesthesiologist, Department of Anesthesia, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston.
- Founder and Chief of the Cardiac Anesthesia Group at Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston; started the world’s first Cardiac Anesthesia Fellowship program. Member, Cardiac Anesthesia Group, 1983-1989.
- Sabbatical, Oxford University, United Kingdom.
- Editor, Anesthesiology, Journal of the American Society of Anesthesiologists, Inc.
- Director, Acute Care Laboratory, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston.
- Named Professor of Anesthesia, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Anesthetist-in-Chief, Beth Israel Hospital and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Senior Fellow in Medical Ethics at Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Named Provost of the Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston.
- Named Henry Isaiah Dorr Professor of Research and Teaching in Anaesthetics and Anaesthesia and Professor of Medical Ethics at Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts.
Series and Subseries in the Collection
- I. Correspondence, 1967-1988, undated
- ___ A. Alphabetical Correspondence, 1967-1979, undated
- ___ B. Chronological Correspondence, 1975, 1979-1988
- II. Beth Israel Hospital Records, 1989-2002
- ___ A. Correspondence, 1989-2000
- ___ B. Beth Israel Hospital and New England Deaconess Hospital Merger Records, 1996-2002
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Accession number 2007-054. Edward Lowenstein. 2007.
- Accession number 2007-055. Edward Lowenstein. 2007.
Processing staff in the Center for the History of Medicine analyzed, arranged, and described the records and created a finding aid to improve access to the collection. To enhance preservation, processing staff re-housed the collection and, where necessary, photocopied documents onto acid-free paper. Duplicate records and records that did not meet the collection policy of the Center for the History of Medicine were discarded. Folder titles were transcribed from the originals.
- Lowenstein, Edward. Papers, 1967-2002 (inclusive): Finding Aid.
- Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine. Center for the History of Medicine.
- Processing of the Papers was funded by Edward Lowenstein.
- EAD ID