Lloyd E. Hawes papers
Lloyd E. Hawes (1912-1988), A.B., 1933, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts; M.D., 1937, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, was Professor and Chair of the University of Massachusetts Medical School’s Radiology Department (1975-1980) and a developer of the radiology department for the Harvard Medical School-planned Harvard Community Health Plan (now Harvard Pilgrim Health Care). Papers reflect Hawes’s work as a teacher, administrator, and historian of radiology.
- 1870-1987 (inclusive),
- Majority of material found in 1960s-1980 .
- Hawes, Lloyd E., 1912-1988. (Person)
Language of Materials
Records are predominantly in English, with some records in French, German, Italian, Danish, and Spanish.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Access requires advance notice. Records containing Harvard University materials are restricted for 50 years. These restrictions are noted where they appear in Series I and Series II. Records containing personal information are restricted for 80 years. These restrictions are noted where they appear in Series II, Series III, and Series V. Consult Public Services for further information.
Access to audio-visual records in this collection (as found in Series I and III) is premised on the availability of necessary playback equipment and the condition of the media. Consult Public Services for further information.
The Papers are stored offsite. Researchers are advised to consult Public Services for further information concerning retrieval of material.
Conditions Governing Use
The Harvard Medical Library does not hold copyright on all materials in the collection. Researchers are responsible for identifying and contacting any third-party copyright holders for permission to reproduce or publish. For more information on the Center's use, publication, and reproduction policies, view our Reproductions and Use Policy.
Extent9.5 cubic feet ( (10 records center cartons and 2 flat file boxes))
The Lloyd E. Hawes papers reflect Hawes’s work as a teacher, administrator, and historian of radiology. The collection is divided into six series: I. Professional Records; II. Teaching and Administration Records; III. Research and Resource Files; IV. Professional Activities Records; V. Writings, Collected Reprints, and Publications; and VI. Personal Records.
Records include correspondence, magazine and newspaper clippings, photographs, lecture outlines, teaching handouts, and assorted reprints and publications. The bulk of the collection consists of reprints, publications, and research files related to the history of radiology and records related to Hawes’s work as an Honorary Curator of the Historical Collection in Radiology at the Countway Library. Professional records include Hawes’ work in the fields of radiology and radiologic history, including his work as a faculty member and administrator at the Countway Library, the University of Massachusetts Medical School, and Northeastern University. The papers also include records of Hawes’ involvement with professional societies, including the Fleischner Society, the New England Roentgen Ray Society, the American College of Radiology, and the Countway Library Associates.
The bulk of the collection is in English. There are occasional records in French, German, Italian, Danish, and Spanish.
Lloyd E. Hawes (1912-1988), A.B., 1933, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts; M.D., 1937, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, was Professor and Chair of the University of Massachusetts Medical School’s Radiology Department (1975-1980), Worcester, Massachusetts, and a developer of the Radiology Department for the Harvard Medical School-planned health maintenance organization, Harvard Community Health Plan (now Harvard Pilgrim Health Care).
Lloyd Elmer Hawes was born 29 April 1912 in Brooksville, Maine. He received his undergraduate degree from Harvard University in 1933 and his medical degree from Harvard Medical School four years later, subsequently interning in internal medicine, pediatrics, and radiology at Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston. After receiving his doctorate, Hawes served four years in the United States Army Medical Corps.
After leaving the Medical Corps, Hawes was appointed Radiologist-in-Chief at the Framingham Union Hospital and the Faulkner Hospital, Boston, positions he held until 1947 and 1964, respectively. He served as a consultant in radiology to the Veterans Administration Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts; and took the position of Radiologist-in-Chief at the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital, Boston in 1966 until the chairmanship of the department could be filled on a permanent basis. In 1969, Harvard Medical School appointed Hawes to develop the Radiology Department for the new Harvard Community Health Plan.
Hawes taught at Northeastern University, Boston, the University of Massachusetts Medical School (where he was appointed Professor and Chairman of the Radiology Department in 1975), Boston University School of Medicine, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, and Harvard Medical School. A professional radiologist for most of his career, Hawes became interested in the history of radiology and the development of radiologic technology. Hawes was appointed Honorary Curator of the Historical Collection in Radiology for the Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine, Boston, in 1965, and in 1969, Hawes donated a large historical collection of radiologic literature and equipment to the Countway Library. He was: an active member and a president of the Fleischner Society and the New England Roentgen Ray Society; the founder and first president of the Countway Library Association; the founder and a president of the American Ceramic Circle; a president of the Boston Shakespeare Society; a president of the Boston Medical Library; and a trustee of Old Sturbridge Village.
Hawes died in Wellesley, Massachusetts, 18 July 1988.
Series and Subseries in the Collection
- I. Professional Records, 1800s-1983, undated
- ___A. Francis A. Countway Library, 1800s-1983, undated
- ______ 1. Correspondence, 1923-1981
- ______ 2. Subject Files, 1800s-1978, undated
- ______ 3. Administrative and Committee Records, 1967-1976
- ___ B. Boston Medical Library, 1967-1980, undated
- ___ C. Other Professional Records, 1954-1978, undated
- II. Teaching and Administration Records, 1948-1984, undated
- ___ A. Northeastern University, 1958-1964, undated
- ___ B. University of Massachusetts Medical School, 1970-1984
- ___ C. Other Teaching Records, 1948-1981, undated
- III. Research and Resource Files, 1870?-1979, undated
- IV. Professional Activities Records, 1898-1987, undated
- V. Writings, Collected Reprints, and Publications, 1884-1984, undated
- VI. Personal Records, 1940-1973, undated
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were transferred to the Center for the History of Medicine by Jay J. Lander, executor of the estate of Lloyd E. Hawes, May 2000.
- Accession number 2000-097. Donated 2000 May 09.
Processed by Hanna Clutterbuck, 2012 June.
Processing staff in the Center for the History of Medicine refoldered, arranged, reboxed, and described material and created a finding aid to improve access. Hanging folders were removed and oversized items were unfolded and placed in larger boxes for preservation. Correspondence has been maintained as originally donated and has not been removed from original envelopes. Consult Public Services for further information on the removal and unfolding of correspondence from its original envelopes.
As a product of collection processing, a number of individual collections were identified as being inappropriately maintained with the Hawes papers. Records separated from the Hawes papers includes 3 cubic feet of Lauriston S. Taylor papers (H MS c334), now integrated as boxes 181-184; .5 cubic feet of S. Reid Warren papers (H MS c389); .5 cubic feet of James C. Searles papers (H MS c390); and .25 cubic feet of Frederick Soddy papers (H MS c388). Additional records deemed outside of the Center’s collecting scope, including papers related to Gerry Schnelle, a veterinary radiologist at the Angell Animal Medical Center, the American Ceramics Circle, and Old Sturbridge Village were deaccessioned and offered back to their respective organizations.
- American College of Radiology.
- Boston Medical Library
- Harvard Medical School
- Hawes, Lloyd E., 1912-1988.
- History, 19th Century
- History, 20th Century
- Medical libraries -- Boston.
- Medicine -- History.
- Negatives (photographic).
- Phonograph records.
- Radiation -- History.
- Radiology -- History
- Radiology -- History.
- Radiology -- Study and teaching.
- Radiology, Medical -- Study and teaching.
- Slides (photographs).
- Tape reels.
- X-rays -- History.
- Hawes, Lloyd E., 1912-1988. Papers, circa 1870-1987 (inclusive), 1960s-1980 (bulk) : Finding Aid.
- Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine. Center for the History of Medicine.
- Language of description
- Processing of the Lloyd E. Hawes papers was funded by the Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine's Lloyd E. Hawes Fund for Radiology.
- EAD ID
Part of the Center for the History of Medicine (Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine) Repository
The Center for the History of Medicine in the Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine is one of the world's leading resources for the study of the history of health and medicine. Our mission is to enable the history of medicine and public health to inform healthcare, the health sciences, and the societies in which they are embedded.
10 Shattuck Street
Boston MA 02115