Harvard School of Dental Medicine photographs
This finding aid describes photographs, photomechanical prints, 35 mm. slides, and glass plate negatives portraying dental instruments and models, a Harvard hospital unit in France during World War 1, H.S.D.M. events, and H.S.D.M. faculty, students, and staff.
Conditions Governing Access
Original images are available for research use at the Center for the History of Medicine. Retrieval requires advance notice. There may be restrictions on access to some materials. Consult Public Services for further information.
Conditions Governing Use
The Harvard Medical Library and the Boston Medical Library do not hold copyright on all materials in the collection. Researchers are responsible for identifying and contacting any third-party copyright holders for permission to reproduce or publish. For more information on the Center's use, publication, and reproduction policies, view our Reproductions and Use Policy.
This finding aid describes photographs, photomechanical prints, 35 mm. slides, and glass plate negatives portraying people and events connected with the Harvard School of Dental Medicine (formerly the Harvard Dental School). Subjects include dental instruments and models, a Harvard hospital unit in France during World War 1, H.S.D.M. events, and portraits of H.S.D.M. faculty, students, and staff. Unless noted all images are black and white.
Images are organized by subject into 3 series arranged by number. Series are organized into image groups arranged alphabetically or subseries arranged chronologically. Within each subseries similar photographs are organized into image groups. Image groups and individual images are arranged chronologically within subseries.
N.B.: Image display may be affected by your choice of browser.
- Series 00117: Dental instruments and models, ca. 1900-1920.
- ___ Image Group 1. Early dental instruments and tools, ca. 1900-1920.
- ___ Image Group 2. Early dental models, ca. 1900-1920.
- Series 00118: H.S.D.M. subjects, ca. 1915-1969.
- ___ Subseries A. H.S.D.M., 1883-1909, North Grove Street (Old H.M.S. building), ca. 1930-1965.
- ___Subseries B. World War 1.
- ______ Image Group 1. Dannes-Camiers, France, ca. 1915-1919.
- ___Subseries C. 188 Longwood Ave. staff and students, ca. 1950-1969.
- ______ Image Group 1. H.S.D.M. meetings, ca. 1950-1969.
- ______ Image Group 2. H.S.D.M. classes, 1962.
- Series 00119: H.S.D.M. portraits, ca. 1868-1960.
- ___Subseries A. Early years, ca. 1868-1908.
- ______ Image Group 1. Administrators, faculty, and staff, ca. 1868-1908.
- ___Subseries B. 188 Longwood Ave. staff, 1909- .
- ______ Image Group 1. Administrators, students, and staff, ca. 1924-1959.
- ______ Image Group 2. H.S.D.M. classes, ca. 1955-1976.
- ______ Image Group 3. H.S.D.M. open house, 6 Nov. 1953.
- ______ Image Group 4. H.S.D.M. social events, ca. 1950-1960.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Harvard School of Dental Medicine Photographs, ca. 1868-1969 are part of an artificial collection assembled in the 1960s from the holdings of the Harvard Medical Library and the Boston Medical Library. The photographs are now housed at the Center for the History of Medicine in Countway Library. Images were acquired individually or removed from manuscript or archival collections and filed by subject. Because of this practice, the provenance of many of the images has been lost.
Library Digital Initiative Project Description
This finding aid was produced as part of a Library Digital Initiative (LDI) grant project. To provide increased access to visual collections, the LDI project staff is describing approximately 4500 historical images of Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Harvard School of Public Health, and the Boston Medical Library in a series of OASIS finding aids. Of the images described in these finding aids, 1600 will be digitized, stored in the Harvard Digital Repository (DRS), and viewable online. To provide historical context, the finding aids will also include links to digitized pages of Harvard annual reports in the Harvard-Radcliffe Online Historical Reference Shelf.
Processed by Judy Greene, August 17, 2004. Selected information from the image collections management database at the Center for the History of Medicine in Countway Library was exported for inclusion in this finding aid. Formal titles for photographs are used when supplied, otherwise, descriptive titles were created and enclosed in brackets. When possible, images are described as groups rather than individually and representative images selected for viewing on-line. Location number includes size. Images are small (S = less than 8 x 10 inches), medium (M = greater than 8 x 10 inches and less than 11 x 14 inches), large (L = greater than 11 x 14 inches and less than 16 x 20 inches), color slides (CS = 35 mm.), or glass plates (G = up to 4 x 5 inches). 'Identical' images may vary in condition and the presence or absence of inscriptions or mounts. A few images have also been cataloged more fully in VIA, Harvard's on-line image database.
- Berry, George Packer, 1898-
- Center for the History of Medicine (Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine)
- Dental Equipment (MeSH)
- Dental Models (MeSH)
- Dental instruments and apparatus.
- Dental schools.
- Dentistry -- Study and teaching.
- Dentists -- Photographs.
- Dentists -- Societies, etc.
- Dentures (MeSH)
- Education, Dental (MeSH)
- Face surgery.
- Harvard School of Dental Medicine -- Alumni and alumnae.
- Harvard School of Dental Medicine -- Faculty.
- Harvard School of Dental Medicine -- Library.
- Harvard School of Dental Medicine -- Photograph collections.
- Harvard School of Dental Medicine -- Societies, etc.
- Harvard School of Dental Medicine -- Students.
- Harvard School of Dental Medicine -- Study and teaching.
- Harvard University -- Presidents -- Photographs.
- Lowell, A. Lawrence (Abbott Lawrence), 1856-1943
- Medical Education.
- Orthodontic appliances.
- Photomechanical prints.
- Portraits, Group.
- Pusey, Nathan M. (Nathan Marsh), 1907-2001
- Schools, Dental (MeSH)
- Slides (photographs).
- Societies, Dental (MeSH)
- Surgery, Oral (MeSH)
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Hospitals -- France.
- Harvard School of Dental Medicine Photographs, ca. 1868-1969: Finding Aid.
- Center for the History of Medicine. Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine.
- Language of description
- EAD ID
Part of the Center for the History of Medicine (Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine) Repository
The Center for the History of Medicine in the Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine is one of the world's leading resources for the study of the history of health and medicine. Our mission is to enable the history of medicine and public health to inform healthcare, the health sciences, and the societies in which they are embedded.
10 Shattuck Street
Boston MA 02115