COLLECTION Identifier: RG M-CL02a, Series number 00137, 00138
Harvard Medical School faculty (A-C) portraits
This finding aid describes photographs, prints and other images portraying faculty and staff members of Harvard Medical School.
- Harvard Medical School (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Access requires advance notice. Consult Public Services for further information.
Conditions Governing Use
The Harvard Medical Library and the Boston Medical Library do not hold copyright on all materials in the collection. Researchers are responsible for identifying and contacting any third-party copyright holders for permission to reproduce or publish. For more information on the Center's use, publication, and reproduction policies, view our Reproductions and Use Policy.
This series is comprised of formal individual and group portraits, and candid photographs of faculty and staff members of Harvard Medical School. Image types include photographs, drawings and prints. Unless noted, individual images are black and white photographs.
History of the Faculty and Staff Portraits Series
These images were selected from the Francis A. Countway Library Rare Books and Special Collections Department's collection of photographs and prints depicting physicians and important figures in the history of medicine, known as the "Portrait collection."
Photographs and images are organized by subseries arranged alphabetically by name of faculty or staff member portrayed, and then arranged chronologically by date of each image. Formal titles for photographs are used when supplied, otherwise, descriptive titles were created and are identified by brackets.
- Series 00137, 00138. Faculty and Staff Portraits: A-C, 1861-1998.
- ___Subseries: Als, Ann Vincenia, 1936-
- ___Subseries: Amdur, Mary O.
- ___Subseries: Avery, Mary Ellen, 1927-
- ___Subseries: Baumgartner, Leona,1902-
- ___Subseries: Berry, George Packer, 1898-
- ___Subseries: Bibring, Grete L. (Grete Lehner),1899-1977.
- ___Subseries: Blake, Clarence John, 1843-1919.
- ___Subseries: Bowditch, H.P. (Henry Pickering), 1840-1911.
- ___Subseries: Bradford, Edward H. (Edward Hickling), 1848-1926.
- ___Subseries: Burwell, C. Sidney (Charles Sidney), 1893-1964.
- ___Subseries: Canavan, Myrtelle May
- ___Subseries: Cannon, Walter B. (Walter Bradford), 1871-1945.
- ___Subseries: Castle, William B. (William Bosworth), 1897-
- ___Subseries: Chadwick, James R. (Read), 1844-1905
- ___Subseries: Christian, Henry A. (Henry Asbury), 1876-1951
- ___Subseries: Councilman, W.T. (William Thomas), 1854-1933.
- ___Subseries: Cushing, Harvey, 1869-1939.
The Faculty and Staff Portrait Collection is an artificial collection assembled from the holdings of the Harvard Medical Library and the Boston Medical Library. The collection is now housed in the Rare Books and Special Collections Department of the Countway Library. Images were acquired individually, or removed from manuscript or archival collections and filed by name. Because of this practice, the provenance of many of the images has been lost.
Library Digital Initiative Project Description
This finding aid was produced as part of a Library Digital Initiative (LDI) grant project. To provide increased access to visual collections, the LDI project staff is describing approximately 4100 historical images of Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Harvard School of Public Health, and the Boston Medical Library in a series of OASIS finding aids. Of the images described in these finding aids, 1600 will be digitized, stored in the Harvard Digital Repository (DRS), and viewable online. To provide historical context, the finding aids will also include links to digitized pages of Harvard annual reports in the Harvard-Radcliffe Online Historical Reference Shelf.
Processed by Peter Rawson, June 2004.
- Education, Medical
- Harvard Medical School
- Harvard Medical School--Faculty.
- Industrial Hygienists.
- Medical Education.
- Medicine, Study and teaching.
- Harvard Medical School Faculty and Staff Portrait Collection: A-C, 1861-1998: A Finding Aid.
- Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine. Center for the History of Medicine.
- EAD ID