Harvard Medical School. Office of Public Affairs events photographs
This finding aid describes photographs of events at, or sponsored by the the Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Dental Medicine and Harvard School of Public Health generated by the Office of Public Affairs.
- Harvard Medical School. Office of Public Affairs. (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Access requires advance notice. There may be restrictions on access to portions of the records. Consult Public Services for further information.
Original images are available for research use at the Center for the History of Medicine. Retrieval requires advance notice. There may be restrictions on access to some materials. Consult Public Services for further information.
Conditions Governing Use
The Harvard Medical Library does not hold copyright on all materials in the collection. Researchers are responsible for identifying and contacting any third-party copyright holders for permission to reproduce or publish. For more information on the Center's use, publication, and reproduction policies, view our Reproductions and Use Policy.
The images described in this finding aid are part of a larger body of photographs and records created by the Office of Public Affairs and its earlier incarnation the Medical Area News Office. The Office of Public Affairs serves as the news office for Harvard Medical School and its affiliate teaching hospitals and research institutions. The bulk of the images were created for publication in various news letters and magazines generated by the office, or as publicity materials for the Medical, Dental and Public Health Schools and their affiliates.
This series contains black and white and color photographic prints, negatives and contact sheets documenting events at Harvard Medical School. Individuals participating in these events include Harvard Medical School, Harvard Dental School, and Harvard School of Public Health faculty, students and staff, as well as non-Harvard affiliated public figures. The photographs were created between the years of 1965-2000 for publication in Focus, a newsletter published by the Public Affairs Department of Harvard Medical School.
Images from the Office of Public Affairs were originally grouped by subject or event and then by date and stored in file folders. The material in the folders included photographic negatives, contact sheets, some prints, and some vertical file material. The information in the file also often identified the photographer and the individuals in the photograph.
During processing, the contents of each file folder were appraised, and exact duplicates and vertical file materials were removed. Prints and negatives retained were rehoused in mylar sleeves, numbered, and placed in document cases. The images were then entered into a control database that associates each image with a series, subseries and image group. Contact sheets were stored and indexed separately from the rest of the records. Researchers may request images by their image number and box location listed in the finding aid.
History of the Public Affairs Events Photographs Series.
The images in the Public Affairs Events Photographs Series were primarily created for publication in Focus, as well as popular media and other occasional publications. Focus is a bi-weekly news magazine issued by the Harvard Medical School's Office of Public Affairs reporting on the latest in biomedical research, advances and programs from the Harvard Medical, Dental and Public Health Schools as well as from the many Harvard-affiliated institutions. The images described in this finding aid document Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Public Health and Harvard School of Dental Medicine events, ceremonies, lectures and gatherings.
Subseries and Image Groups in the Series
- Series 00112. Events Photographs, 1965-2000.
- ___Subseries A. Harvard Medical School Community Events, 1989-1998.
- ______ Image Group 1. Medical-Legal Services Project, 1989.
- ______ Image Group 2. Harvard Medical School Affirmative Action Symposium, 1990.
- ______ Image Group 3. Family Day, 1996.
- ______ Image Group 4. Benefit for AWAKE (Advocacy for Women and Kids in Emergencies), 1996.
- ______ Image Group 5. Ceremony to Commemorate the Work of CareGroup, 1996.
- ______ Image Group 6. Rosie's Place Donation, 1997.
- ______ Image Group 7. Global Harmony Day, 1997, 1999.
- ______ Image Group 8. Hands-on Science Program, 1997, 1999.
- ______ Image Group 9. Celebration of the 30th Anniversary of Affirmative Action at Harvard Medical School, 1998.
- ______ Image Group 10. Ebert Community Service Day, 1998.
- ______ Image Group 11. Family Van, 1998.
- ______ Image Group 12. First-year Urban Neighborhood Campaign, 1998- 1999.
- ______ Image Group 13. Math Camp, 1999.
- ______ Image Group 14. Objective Structured Clinical Exam, 1999.
- ___Subseries B. Dean's Report, 1983-1987, 1997-1999.
- ______ Image Group 1. Dean's Report, 1983-1984.
- ______ Image Group 2. Dean's Report, 1984-1985.
- ______ Image Group 3. Dean's Report, 1985-1986.
- ______ Image Group 4. Dean's Report, 1986-1987.
- ______ Image Group 5. Dean's Report, 1997.
- ______ Image Group 6. Dean's Report, 1998.
- ______ Image Group 7. Dean's Report, 1999.
These photographs were transferred to the Harvard Medical Library from the Harvard Medical School Office of Public Affairs in February, 2002.
Library Digital Initiative Project Description
This finding aid is one of a series that are part of a larger Library Digital Initiative (LDI) Grant Project. For this project, the the LDI project staff are describing approximately 2500 historical images of the Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Dental Medicine and Harvard School of Public Health and making them accessible through an series of OASIS finding aids and the Harvard-Radcliffe Online Historical Reference Shelf. Of the images described in these finding aids, 1600 are digitized, stored in the Harvard Digital Repository (DRS) and linked to their descriptions in the finding aids. The finding aids also include links to digitized pages of Annual Reports and the Reference Shelf.
One of the intentions of this project is to exploit the ability of the LDI infrastructure to support links among resources, specifically links between the EAD-encoded finding aid in OASIS and digitized images, and documents in the DRS (via the Image Delivery Service and Page Delivery Service). Additional access is provided to selected, high use images through Harvard's Visual Image Access (VIA) system.
During processing, images were cataloged in an internal control database. This was necessary to establish rudimentary intellectual and physical control of the collection. This database serves as the main collection management tool for the archival photograph collections, and is used to record condition and preservation notes, associate images with negatives and to gather and organize basic identification and descriptive information for export to a software application used by EAD text markup.
Processed by: Jane Magiera and Molly Tierney under the direction of Kathryn Baker and Virginia Hunt, April, 2003.
- Harvard Medical School. Office of Public Affairs. (Organization)
- Harvard Medical School. Office of Public Affairs. Events Photographs, 1965 - 2000: A Finding Aid.
- Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine. Center for the History of Medicine.
- Language of description
- EAD ID
Part of the Center for the History of Medicine (Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine) Repository
The Center for the History of Medicine in the Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine is one of the world's leading resources for the study of the history of health and medicine. Our mission is to enable the history of medicine and public health to inform healthcare, the health sciences, and the societies in which they are embedded.
10 Shattuck Street
Boston MA 02115