Brigham and Women's Hospital. Emerson Respirator or "Iron Lung," serial number TC-001, manufactured by the J.H. Emerson Co. of Cambridge, Massachusetts in the late 1940s and used at Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts until the 2000s, 1940-1950
- Usage: 1940-2010
- John Haven Emerson Company (Organization)
Language of Materials
Object labels, inscriptions, etc. are primarily in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Warren Anatomical Museum objects are available for research access. Access is premised on the availability of space and staff to facilitate use. Contact Public Services for the Warren Anatomical Museum for more information.
Biographical / Historical
The iron lung was built by the Emerson Company of Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The iron lung was purchased by Brigham and Women's Hospital in the 1940s and stayed in consistent use at the hospital until the 2000s. Acc. #2019-044W.