South Congregational Church, Boston, MA records, 1825-1924
Records of the South Congregational Church of Boston, Massachusetts including activities (1827-1899), parish list (1895), correspondence (1825-1922), Social Service Club material, Friendly Society, by-laws (1915), orders of service (1845-1924), financial records, newspaper clippings, and scrapbooks.
There are no restrictions on access to this collection.
Extent1.3 linear feet (5 boxes)
This collection contains the records of the South Congregational Church of Boston, Massachusetts. The collection includes records of activities (1827-1899), parish list (1895), correspondence (1825-1922), Social Service Club material, Friendly Society, by-laws (1915), orders of service (1845-1924), financial records, newspaper clippings, and scrapbooks.
Biographical / Historical
The South Congregational Society was formed in Boston in 1825 by residents in Boston’s South End, members from Hollis Street Church, and supporters of Dr. Horace Holley. The church cornerstone was laid on August 7, 1827 at the corner of Washington and Castle Streets, with the dedication of the completed church on January 30, 1828. Reverend Edward Everett Hale was installed as pastor on October 1, 1856, and served the South Congregational Church for forty-three years. A new church was constructed in 1861, and dedicated on January 8, 1862. Hale’s last sermon in this church was given on June 26, 1887. The building was sold and made into a synagogue, and the South Congregational Church and Society merged with the Hollis Street Church. The combined congregations, now known as the South Congregational Society, moved to the corner of Newbury and Exeter Streets. In 1925, the South Congregational Church merged with the First Church of Boston, and was officially dissolved on May 13, 1929.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of the Unitarian Universalist Association, 1968.
- South Congregational Church, Boston, MA records, 1825-1924: A Finding Aid
- Andover-Harvard Theological Library
- Language of description
- EAD ID
Part of the Harvard Divinity School Library, Harvard University Repository
Special Collections at Harvard Divinity School Library preserves and makes accessible primary source materials documenting the history of religion and theology, with particular historical emphasis on American liberal religious traditions. Though the historical strengths of the collections have been in the field of Christianity, other religious traditions are increasingly reflected, in step with Harvard Divinity School's evolving focus on global religious studies. Known as Andover-Harvard Theological Library since 1911, it was renamed the Harvard Divinity School Library in 2021.
45 Francis Avenue
Cambridge MA 02138-1911 USA