Skip to main content
COLLECTION Identifier: bMS 455

Cambridgeport Parish (Cambridge, Mass.). Records, 1808-1885

Records of the parish, 1808-1885.

Dates

  • 1808-1885

Conditions Governing Access

There are no restrictions on access to this collection.

Extent

0.7 cubic feet (2 boxes)

This collection consists of the records of the Cambridgeport Parish, 1808-1885. For church records (including births, marriages and deaths) see the Third Congregational Society records. For a record of births, marriages, and deaths during Thomas Brattle Gannett's ministry see the collection of the Massachusetts Historical Society.

Biographical / Historical

The Cambridgeport Meeting-house Corporation was established June 15, 1805, and the meeting house on the common bounded by Broadway, Harvard, Columbia, and Boardman Streets was dedicated January 1, 1807. The parish itself was organized in March 1808 and the church in July 1809. Their second meeting house, on Austin Street, was built in 1834. In 1885, the Cambridgeport Parish merged with the Third Congregational Society and took on the name and endowment of the Third Congregational Society. The Cambridgeport Parish was also known as the Harvard Street Church after 1911 when it moved to a new building on Harvard Street. It merged with the First Parish in 1939.

  • 1814-1833 Thomas Brattle Gannett
  • 1834-1846 Artemas Bowers Muzzey
  • 1846-1864 John Fothergill Waterhouse Ware
  • 1865 Henry Clapp Badger
  • 1867-1895 George Ware Briggs
Ministers
1814-1833
Thomas Brattle Gannett
1834-1846
Artemas Bowers Muzzey
1846-1864
John Fothergill Waterhouse Ware
1865
Henry Clapp Badger
1867-1895
George Ware Briggs

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of the First Parish in Cambridge and secured by Dr. Conrad Wright, 1974.

Related Materials

For later ministers and additional related records, please see bMS 456.

Processing Information

Processed by: Alan Seaburg, 1981.
Link to catalog
Title
Cambridgeport Parish (Cambridge, Mass.) Records (bMS 455): A Finding Aid
Author
Andover-Harvard Theological Library
EAD ID
div00455

Repository Details

Part of the Andover-Harvard Theological Library, Harvard Divinity School Repository

Special Collections at Andover-Harvard Theological Library preserves and makes accessible primary source materials documenting the history of religion and theology, with particular historical emphasis on American liberal religious traditions. Though the historical strengths of the collections have been in the field of Christianity, other religious traditions are increasingly reflected, in step with Harvard Divinity School's evolving focus on global religious studies.

Contact:
45 Francis Avenue
Cambridge MA 02138-1911 USA
(617) 384-7904
617-496-4111 (Fax)