First Parish (Cambridge, Mass.). Records, 1834-1912.
Biographical / Historical
The fifth and current Meeting House was built in 1833, and Harvard College commencements were held in it until 1873. Here Presidents Everett, Sparks, Walker, Felton, Hill, and Eliot were inaugurated, and in 1837, Ralph Waldo Emerson gave his Phi Beta Kappa oration "The American Scholar." The Parish House was built in 1902, and the interior of the Meeting House remodeled in 1914. The Crothers Chapel (named after the Rev. Samuel Crothers, pastor from 1894 to 1927) was dedicated in 1941.
Ministers of First Parish in Cambridge:
- Thomas Hooker, 1633-1636;
- Samuel Stone, 1633-1636;
- Thomas Shepard, 1636-1649;
- Jonathan Mitchel, 1650-1668;
- Urian Oakes, 1671-1681;
- Nathaniel Gookin, 1682-1692;
- William Brattle, 1696-1717;
- Nathaniel Appleton, 1717-1784;
- Timothy Hilliard, 1783-1790;
- Abiel Holmes, 1792-1829;
- William Newell, 1830-1868;
- Francis G. Peabody, 1874-1879;
- Edward H. Hall, 1882-1893;
- Samuel McChord Crothers, 1894-1927;
- Ralph E. Bailey, 1928-1934;
- Leslie T. Pennington, 1935-1944;
- Wilburn B. Miller, 1945-1958;
- Ralph N. Helverson, 1959-1977;
- Edwin A. Lane, 1978-1987;
- Thomas J. S. Mikelson, 1989-2006;
- Jory Agate, 1997-2007.
- Frederick Emerson Small, 2008-
- Lilia Cuervo, 2010-
- First Parish (Cambridge, Mass.). Records, 1834-1912: A Finding Aid.
- Andover-Harvard Theological Library
- EAD ID
Part of the Andover-Harvard Theological Library, Harvard Divinity School Repository
Special Collections at Andover-Harvard Theological Library preserves and makes accessible primary source materials documenting the history of religion and theology, with particular historical emphasis on American liberal religious traditions. Though the historical strengths of the collections have been in the field of Christianity, other religious traditions are increasingly reflected, in step with Harvard Divinity School's evolving focus on global religious studies.
45 Francis Avenue
Cambridge MA 02138-1911 USA