Twenty-eighth Congregational Society (Boston, Mass.) Records 1845-1889
Financial records of the Parker Memorial Meeting House, 1873-1887; correspondence; printed matter and manuscripts relating to the founding of the society; membership lists; society constitution; miscellaneous records.
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on access to this collection
Extent1 cubic feet (3 boxes)
This collection consists of the financial records of the Parker Memorial Meeting House, 1873-1887. It includes correspondence; printed matter and manuscripts relating to the founding of the society; membership lists; society constitution; and miscellaneous records.
Biographical / Historical
The church was started in 1845 and met in the Melodeon. The Theodore Parker Memorial Church (founded 1873) was considered a continuation of this Society. A new meeting house, called the Appleton Street Chapel, was built at the corner of Berkeley and Appleton Streets. The Parker Memorial merged with the Bulfinch Street Chapel Society.
Ministers of the 28th Congregational Society: 1846-1860, Theodore Parker; 1865-1867, David Atwood Wasson; 1867-1868, Samuel Robert Calthorp; 1868-1871, James Vila Blake.
Ministers of the Parker Memorial: 1883-1889, William Gustavus Babcock; 1900-1901, John McDowell; 1901-1905, Charles William Wendte.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of the Unitarian Universalist Association.
Douglas Stange, 1966.
- Twenty-eighth Congregational Society (Boston, Mass.) Records (bMS 7): Register
- Andover-Harvard Theological Library
- Language of description
- EAD ID
Part of the Harvard Divinity School Library, Harvard University Repository
Special Collections at Harvard Divinity School Library preserves and makes accessible primary source materials documenting the history of religion and theology, with particular historical emphasis on American liberal religious traditions. Though the historical strengths of the collections have been in the field of Christianity, other religious traditions are increasingly reflected, in step with Harvard Divinity School's evolving focus on global religious studies. Known as Andover-Harvard Theological Library since 1911, it was renamed the Harvard Divinity School Library in 2021.
45 Francis Avenue
Cambridge MA 02138-1911 USA