Skip to main content
COLLECTION Identifier: Mss:766 1752-1902 T912

Tudor Company records

The records of Frederic Tudor's Boston based Tudor Ice Company include financial material relating to the sale of ice.

Dates

  • 1752-1897

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research. Materials stored onsite. Please contact specialcollectionsref@hbs.edu for more information.

Researchers must register and provide valid photo identification before using this collection.

Extent

20 linear feet (31 volumes, 31 boxes)

Records include journals, ledgers, cash books, letter books, letters received, and diaries (1805-1822, 1825-1838). There is a memorandum book on Frederic Tudor’s Rockwood Estate in Lynn, 1806-1814.

Historical Note:

Established in Boston by Frederic Tudor, the Tudor Ice Company, later known as the Tudor Company engaged in exporting ice and other merchandise, and importing tea, camphor, goat and sheepskins, jute, indigo, coffee, and buffalo hides. The company owned ice houses in Calcutta, Madras, Bombay, Galle, Singapore, Jamaica, Havana, New Orleans, and Charleston. It was with these ports that most of the trade was conducted. The last shipment of ice was made by the company in 1886.

Frederic Tudor, son of William and Delia (Jarvis) Tudor, was born September 4, 1783 in Boston, Massachusetts. Son of a prominent merchant and scholar, Frederic entered business at age thirteen. At age twenty-one, Frederic and his brother, William, devised a way to send ice to Martinique. Confident that he could prosper financially by selling ice to warmer climes, Frederic spent the next fifteen years perfecting a way to ship ice without loss with the help of his assistant, Nathaniel J. Wyeth. Tudor suffered indebtedness and failure for many years, but eventually The Tudor Ice Company became very successful. . The Tudor family accumulated the land which made up the Rockwood estate, located in Lynn [now Nahant], Massachusetts, over a period of twenty-five years purchasing adjoining property when available. In August 1787, William Tudor bought six acres of farmland plus thirty-one acres of woodland. In May 1788, father John Tudor purchased three acres of land upon which stood a dwelling house, barn and outbuildings as well as six acres of salt marsh in May 1788. The house and about twelve acres of land stood on the east side of the road from Chelsea to Reading. The barn and remainder of land were on the westerly side of the road. William Tudor purchased two acres of salt marsh in 1790, sixteen acres of farmland in 1793, eight acres of pine grove in 1799 and three more acres in 1801. William transferred the entire parcel via a quitclaim deed to his second son, Frederic, in 1812. Continuing the family’s practice of improving their property, Frederic invested large sums of money in plants, trees and flowers and converted a barren hill into a showplace. In 1825, he built a rustic stone cottage where he resided in the summer. The property is now used as the Nahant Country Club Frederic married Euphemia Fenno on January 2, 1834; the couple had six children: (1) Euphemia, b. February 18, 1837; (2) Frederic, b. February 11, 1845; (3) Delia Jarvis, b. March 20, 1847; (4) William, b. September 27, 1848; (5) Eleonora Elizabeth, b. July 1, 1850; and (6) Henry, b. January 21, 1854. Frederic Tudor died in Boston on February 6, 1864.

Series Outline

The collection is arranged in the following series:
  1. Series I. Tudor I, 1860-1897
  2. Series II. Tudor II, 1752-1864
  3. Series III. Tudor III, 1799-1848

Provenance:

Ledgers and account books (1860-1902), were gift of Charles H. Taylor. Remainder of collection came from Frederic Tudor and Mrs. Henry D. Tudor.
Title
Tudor Company. Tudor Company Records, 1752-1897: A Finding Aid
Author
Baker Library
EAD ID
bak00212

Repository Details

Part of the Baker Library Special Collections, Harvard Business School, Harvard University Repository

Baker Library Special Collections holds unique resources that focus on the evolution of business and industry, as well as the records of the Harvard Business School, documenting the institution's development over the last century. These rich and varied collections support research in a diverse range of fields such as business, economic, social and cultural history as well as the history of science and technology.

Contact:
Baker Library | Bloomberg Center
Soldiers Field Road
Boston MA 01263 USA
(617) 495-6411