Waltham Watch Company records
Records of watch manufacturer Waltham Watch Company of Waltham, Mass., founded in 1850.
- 1854-1941 (inclusive)
- Majority of material found within 1854-1929
- Waltham Watch Company (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Some materials may be stored offsite; access requires advance notice. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Extent111 linear feet (1009 volumes, 52 boxes, 3 cases)
This collection includes administrative records, treasurer’s reports, general accounts, purchase and receiving records, wage rate books, payroll records, production by employees. There are miscellaneous legal papers, advertising data, illustrated price lists and catalogues. Some records relate to the allied firm of Robbins and Appleton, which had the sales agency for Waltham watches. Includes a few papers of the patent law firm of Wright, Brown, Quinby and May; the Cadillac and Packard Motor Car Companies, and Potter Brothers, Chicago. Also includes 22 volumes of records of the Dubois Watch Case Company, 1907-1923.
Waltham Watch Company was a watch manufacturer founded in 1850 in Waltham, Mass. The firm was known as the American Watch Company from 1859 to 1885. It was renamed the American Waltham Watch Company in 1885 and retained this name until 1906. The company went into bankruptcy in 1948. Various attempts at reorganization proved unsuccessful and it ceased operations in the 1950s. The Waltham Precision Instrument Company was an instrument manufacturer loosely descended from the older firm.
The collection is arranged in the following series:
- Series A. Administrative records, 1854-1923
- Series B. Journals, 1885-1923
- Series C. Ledgers, 1864-1923
- Series D. Cash books, 1854-1928
- Series E. Trial balances, 1905-1923
- Series F. Bills receivable and payable, 1893-1923
- Series G. Vouchers (paid bills), 1906-1921
- Series H. Supplies and purchase records, 1895-1923
- Series K. Labor records: Time books and pay rolls, 1859-1924
- Series L. Production records, 1867-1920
- Series M. Credit union loans, 1919-1920
- Series N. Parts orders, 1911
- Series O. Sales, 1857-1927
- Series P. Letters, 1900-1916
- Series R. Miscellany, 1875-1921
- Series S. Legal records, 1899-1941
- Series T. Advertising materials, 1879-1929
- Series U. Dubois Watch Case Co. records, 1907-1921
- Series W. Cadillac Motor Car Co. records, 1920-1921
- Series X. Matalene records, 1914-1919
- Series Y. Packard Motor Car Co. records, 1913-1921
- Series Z. Potter Brothers, Chicago, records, 1915-1922
- Series ZA. Papers of Charles W. Moore, 1845-1946
- Photographs, 1862-1893, undated
Gift of Waltham Watch Company, 1938. Wright, Brown, Quinby and May papers were gift of Wright, Brown, Quinby and May, 1942. Typewritten histories by E. A. Marsh, were gift of Dudley Dumaine, 1964.
Existence and Location of Copies
A publication entitled "American Watch Co. Waltham, Mass. Incorporated 1854. New Orleans Exposition 1884-85" from Box TE-3, Scrapbook “A”-advertising booklets and other printed advertising, 1895-1899, is available as a digital surrogate .
Vols. AD-1 and AD-2 (Treasurer’s Reports, 1859-1899) is available on microfilm (1 reel, 35 mm.) for use in the Historical Collections Reading Room, Baker Library. Order no. 84-0192.
Vols. RC-1 and RC-2 (2 histories of E. A. Marsh, c.1889 and c.1921) is available on microfilm (1 reel, 35 mm.) for use in the Historical Collections Reading Room, Baker Library. Order no. 65-7615.
Pay rolls, 1871-1875, (portions of v. KC-6, KC-7, KC-8 and KC-9) are available on microfilm (1 reel, 35mm.) from Historical Collections, Baker Library. Order no. 85-4668.
- Account books
- American Waltham Watch Company
- Cadillac Motor Car Company
- Clock and watch makers.
- Clock and watch making -- Massachusetts.
- Clocks and watches -- Marketing.
- Fitch, Ezra Charles
- General Electric Company
- Manufactures -- Massachusetts -- Waltham.
- Metal products.
- Moore, Charles W.
- Patent suits.
- Waltham Watch Company. Waltham Watch Company records, 1854-1941 (inclusive), 1854-1929 (bulk): A Finding Aid
- Baker Library
- Description rules
- Language of description
- EAD ID
Part of the Baker Library Special Collections and Archives, Harvard Business School Repository
Baker Library Special Collections and Archives holds unique resources that focus on the evolution of business and industry, as well as the records of the Harvard Business School, documenting the institution's development over the last century. These rich and varied collections support research in a diverse range of fields such as business, economic, social and cultural history as well as the history of science and technology.
Baker Library | Bloomberg Center
Soldiers Field Road
Boston MA 01263 USA