Skip to main content

Bliss, Robert Woods, 1875-1962

 Person

Dates

  • Existence: 1875 - 1962

Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:

Dumbarton Oaks Garden, Dumbarton Oaks Park

Sub-Series — Folder: 13Identifier: DDO-RB-GAR-001
Scope and Contents: Thirty-seven black and white photographs, 2 color photographs, and a collection of photographs with drawings and notes of the Dumbarton Oaks Park which refers to the 27-acre parcel of land that Robert and Mildred Bliss donated to the National Park Service in 1940. The acreage is now considered a part of Rock Creek Park.When it was part of the Bliss estate, the park belonged to Beatrix Farrand’s garden design. It served as a rustic counterpoint to the complex and formal garden...

Dumbarton Oaks Garden, East Lawn

Sub-Series — Folder: 14Identifier: DDO-RB-GAR-001
Scope and Contents: Twenty black and white photographs and 5 color photographs of the Dumbarton Oaks Garden, East Lawn is an unbroken expanse of grass stretching from the entrance of the house southeast to the R Street wall.In her Plant Book for Dumbarton Oaks, Beatrix Farrand, landscape gardener called the East Lawn “one of the loveliest of the features of Dumbarton Oaks in its freedom from detail” (p. 20). To frame the open lawn, Farrand planned perimeter plantings chosen for their size and...

Dumbarton Oaks Garden, Fellows' Quarters and Yard

Sub-Series — Folder: 16Identifier: DDO-RB-GAR-001
Scope and Contents: Photographs of the Dumbarton Oaks property taken between 1920 when Mildred and Robert Bliss bought the estate property and 1979 including and beyond when it was donated to Harvard University in 1940. The early photographs from approximately 1920-1949 are in black and white. Later photographs from approximately 1950-1979 are in color.Those that photographed the Dumbarton Oaks Garden included Stewart Bros. Photographer (Washington, D.C.); Ursula Pariser, Dumbarton Oaks staff...